Written Friday 17th April
Friday 17th was kind of like Friday 13th. Everything had to do with the van. First, within 15 minutes of entering an entirely French world, I got a flat tire. I think I last changed a tire when I was 21 – no, 24 when back in England.
So, finding the tire, first of all, was quite an adventure. It wasn’t in a false floor in the rear. I parked beside a Fromagerie and tried my best French inside to ask where the nearest garage was – to blank stares. But, unlike Friday 13th, two customers – a father and son team traveling from Manitoba home to Sydney NS – came to my rescue. And best of all, they spoke English, with the son also being able to converse in French.
So, while the dad (Bill English, a Natural Resources Nova Scotia manager) got down on his hands and knees to discover the hidden spare tire under the rear, the son (Hal English, student) spoke with the Fromagerie owner about a place to get the tire fixed. Well, it was beyond fixing. But, we were directed back down the road I had traveled to a dealership.
There, I got a good replacement put onto the rim and balanced, so I’m all set for the next tire episode.
On a roll, I decided to fix the headlight that was out and get a new windscreen wiper for the rear window at the closest Canadian Tire. After finding a salesperson who spoke English, I stood in the carpark for 30 minutes in ferocious wind trying in vane to replace the wiper. Why are these things so difficult? Not only is there the wiper, but there is the extra connection stuff, of which I had to choose between 3 items as to which to use. None looked like the original. But, after going back into the store and asking for instructions I finally managed.
Then came the light. Have you tried to replace a headlight? It is a case of fumbling in the dark amongst cables and containers to find little pieces of wire – one to pull off, one to snap aside, and then a bulb to twist out. Well, I managed the first one and was lost on the rest. So, I gave in and stood in line and waited for a mechanic to sort it out.
After that episode, I arrived in Levis, on the east shore of St. Lawrence River, and got the ferry across to the old part of Quebec City. If you have never been before, then do that. It saves a huge amount of driving and is a relaxing restful way to get right down town to the touristy bit.
The streets are narrow and old and the shops are small boutiques. There are countless pubs and cafes, and there is colour and history everywhere. I liked it. I got a good feel for the place, with horse drawn carriages, buskers clad in gold paint, outdoor seating at cafes (it was a sunny warm day today), groups of school kids on tour, loads of tourists, and a whole street full of artists. I think it would be impossible to be unfit in Quebec City with all the uphills and downhills and opportunities to walk. The Citadel (quite similar but larger than Halifax) has a great walk around it to give a good perspective of the lower city. I didn’t make it up to the new shopping area as shopping is just not me.
And now I’m at a place without internet. So, this posting will have to wait a while. I’m partway between Quebec City and Montreal and am unsure what to do tomorrow.
This post was going to be all in French. I have been listening to French radio, have French TV
on at the moment – some cooking show – and have been trying at least a sentence in French before reverting to English. But I’m not feeling so adventurous, so all I’ll do is Bonsoir. 
Friday 17th was kind of like Friday 13th. Everything had to do with the van. First, within 15 minutes of entering an entirely French world, I got a flat tire. I think I last changed a tire when I was 21 – no, 24 when back in England.
So, finding the tire, first of all, was quite an adventure. It wasn’t in a false floor in the rear. I parked beside a Fromagerie and tried my best French inside to ask where the nearest garage was – to blank stares. But, unlike Friday 13th, two customers – a father and son team traveling from Manitoba home to Sydney NS – came to my rescue. And best of all, they spoke English, with the son also being able to converse in French.
So, while the dad (Bill English, a Natural Resources Nova Scotia manager) got down on his hands and knees to discover the hidden spare tire under the rear, the son (Hal English, student) spoke with the Fromagerie owner about a place to get the tire fixed. Well, it was beyond fixing. But, we were directed back down the road I had traveled to a dealership.
There, I got a good replacement put onto the rim and balanced, so I’m all set for the next tire episode.
On a roll, I decided to fix the headlight that was out and get a new windscreen wiper for the rear window at the closest Canadian Tire. After finding a salesperson who spoke English, I stood in the carpark for 30 minutes in ferocious wind trying in vane to replace the wiper. Why are these things so difficult? Not only is there the wiper, but there is the extra connection stuff, of which I had to choose between 3 items as to which to use. None looked like the original. But, after going back into the store and asking for instructions I finally managed.
Then came the light. Have you tried to replace a headlight? It is a case of fumbling in the dark amongst cables and containers to find little pieces of wire – one to pull off, one to snap aside, and then a bulb to twist out. Well, I managed the first one and was lost on the rest. So, I gave in and stood in line and waited for a mechanic to sort it out.
After that episode, I arrived in Levis, on the east shore of St. Lawrence River, and got the ferry across to the old part of Quebec City. If you have never been before, then do that. It saves a huge amount of driving and is a relaxing restful way to get right down town to the touristy bit.
And now I’m at a place without internet. So, this posting will have to wait a while. I’m partway between Quebec City and Montreal and am unsure what to do tomorrow.
This post was going to be all in French. I have been listening to French radio, have French TV
No comments:
Post a Comment