Monday, April 20, 2009


Hello, I am in our Nation's capital in a very swanky (fab) hotel moments from the Parliament Buildings where I spent most of my afternoon. Who would have thought that I would arrive on a day when the House of Commons was in session!









It was recommended to me that I take a tour of the Houses of Parliament and so I did. The building is really quite beautiful inside and out. The library is incredible - almost surreal - but no photos allowed in there so don't look for them.








The emblems are stained glass inserts into one of the ceilings in the main building beside the entrance into the Senate. The Senate was also in session so I couldn't go in there. I did, however, sit through question period for about an hour in the H of C and the person sitting next to me summed it up when he said "it's just like Kindergarten".














Going back a day, I spent another lovely day up in the mountains. I even hiked most of the way up the main mountain, up the Grand Brulee trail for anyone who has been to Mont Tremblant. But, it got a little tricky with the residual snow so I didn't make it to the top.














For the birders, there are thousands of Canada Geese in farmers' fields between Montebello and Gatineau, and I perhaps mentioned before that there were skies full of snow geese when I was driving through upper New Brunswick and Quebec.








(The male grouse (I'm presuming it's a grouse and not a ptarmigan) in the photo was in the Mont Tremblant National Park - the female had already disappeared. I guess she had seen the show before.)

I'm here in Ottawa until the end of Wednesday so not likely to add more to this blog till I leave. My bed has 5 pillows on it - what on earth do people do with 5 pillows?
Oh, and Ted - your comment - no worries re the light, wiper, tire, etc. Tire was rear passenger side. And, glad to know that the light taxed you too. It was very complicated. I am learning new things about the van all the time - like for instance this morning I got up really quietly so as not to wake the sleeping few at the hostel, and knowing I'd be leaving early I decided to use the key to unlock the drivers' door. Then, the engine wouldn't start! So, after pondering what to do, I called CAA thinking there was something major - turns out it was a safety device because I had not deactivated the alarm system! Silly me!! Oh well. CAA arrived within about 4 minutes of my call - amazing!
Ok. That's all.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Janet!!! You're doing a fabulous job of blogging! It sounds like you're having a wonderful adventure, and it's only just begun!! Great pictures!
    Janice & Gerald

    ReplyDelete