Tuesday, April 28, 2009

So, tell me honestly – am I the ONLY one who didn’t know that 1.8 billion years ago a meteor hit the area where Sudbury is now, and because of that event Sudbury is known for its incredible geology? Really? I mean, I knew about the meteor blamed for the extinction of the dinosaurs – everybody knows that – and Dr. T. had told me about a geological fault, but Sudbury? Ok, well, now I am informed.

The Dynamic Earth exhibit was out of this world, although, really, it couldn’t be more IN the world. The ticket bought me a trip underground into one of the mines – cool stuff – and there is a new diamond exhibit which just opened so I am up on these dazzling little bits of carbon that seem to mean so much to us earth dwellers.

From Sudbury I drove via Sault Ste. Marie and up to Wawa, which isn’t far from the Leadbetter diamond mine. Imagine playing around in a local river and finding diamonds! Made me want to run out and start panning, but for some reason I just seem to be doing a lot of driving these days. Anyway, I stayed at a very nice motel, so if you should ever be needing a place to sleep in Wawa then go to the Parkland Motel.

Then I went to Nipigon to find the ice-climbing area and found it but it had melted somewhat so no climbers to photograph; explored the Sleeping Giant Provincial Park and the campsite was… closed; got to Thunder Bay, saw it, drove through it, and drove out of it.
By the way, these recycling bins were at the Terry Fox Memorial above - couldn't we do something simple like this in Powell River?
After a brief stop to look at the Kabaneka Falls (the one good thing about traveling at this time of year is that the run-off from the snowmelt lends itself to incredibly raging rivers) I drove onto Atibokan.
It was dark when I got there and the only accommodation in town was full, so I had a white knuckle drive through the night to Fort Francis. Luckily, no massive moose stepped into the road, but driving until 11 pm was not fun. Plus, this is hunting country.

However, now I am in Winnipeg and will be meeting up with Barbara, mother of Barry (of Barry and Camille from Pictou, where I first stayed and picked up my chariot), at breakfast tomorrow. The Red River is still very high.

Throughout my travels along every highway there have been little stone innukshuks like the one pictured here. Somebody has taken a very long time to climb up and balance the rocks to help show the way.

Also, I am up to triple figures in counting deer, and have now seen 5 moose. Yesterday I saw about 20 vultures feeding on road kill, plus I am sure I saw a couple of Sandhill Cranes (I looked them up on the internet to check and although not the same colour – mine were a light rusty brown with a very bright red cap – I can’t think of what else they may be) and right beside them three osprey nests with fledglings teetering on the edge. Bald Eagles are more common now, and I'm seeing lots of evidence of beavers.

Thank you to all who have sent comments. I have been publishing them all, so I hope that is ok, and like their positive complimentary nature. Roger – was I right about the Leamington tomatoes, and, I hadn’t put two and two together (until you did) about the erie-ness of Point Pelee. Good one!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Janet! Just tuning in now to your blog... you forgot to point me to it before you left, bad girl!

    I'm enjoying catching up with your journey. Looks like it's been a pretty exciting time.

    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG you are only 4 days from home! OK, maybe 5. Do you miss us or are you having way too much fun on the road? We miss you!

    And I totally understand about Ontario - you really have to travel through it to understand how giant that province actually is. It's the size of a...large...country.

    From Amy

    ReplyDelete