Catch up time... this was written Sunday 26th April
At 10 am the Dynamic Earth exhibit opens up on the hill next to the Nickel. There are three hospitals and three universities here for some reason, and almost every road leads to Hwy 17 and my journey west.
Yesterday had its memorable bits. I drove north across country passing farm after farm along the shores of Lake Huron. Bayfield, mentioned by Margaret who I met the day before in Eden Mills, is quite a pretty touristy spot, but it has no obvious public washroom so I didn't like it. I have realised that if my needs are met in a place, no matter what those needs may be, then I like the place, and if not, then I don't.
Finding the 400 proved to be difficult when unable to see much through the windshield. And, using a map with the entirety of Ontario on two sides (I have now realised the province is a little larger than I first thought...) means losing local detail. The road I headed up wasn't on the map, even the rather affluent residential area didn't exist. And the road led me to transmission wires high on a hill - not a particularly smart place to be in a major lightning storm.
Anyway, I did finally manage to get to Hwy 400 and the storm relented. The post-storm scenery was intense. Colours were vibrant and there was sweet light in the middle of the afternoon.
I pulled off a side road to Sturgeon Provincial Park (closed) and tootled along to the marina area some 10 km later. On route, the frogs were deafening, a pileated woodpecker made short work of rotten bark, deer ran across the road with their white fluffy tails high in the air, and just like up on Mt Tremblant area I found a male grouse showing off to a female. A deer watched me watching it as I ate my dinner.
It seemed to take a long time to get to Sudbury (not surprising given how many stops I made) and as the light was fading I was thinking of where to stay - should I go to the expense of another motel, or would camping be ok? And then a moose sauntered across the road right in front of me.
An emergency stop (from 90 km/hr) sent maps and books flying off the passenger seat and onto the floor. She, the moose, was HUGE and mottled. In the seconds during which I watched her pass by, I noticed how strange a gait moose have - she reminded me of an extra tall person shyly trying to fit into a 5'5" world. I didn't catch my breath for another 30 minutes.
So my head wasn't quite on straight when I arrived in Sudbury in the dark and booked into the first motel I saw. That was a mistake, an example of why sometimes it is not good to travel alone, and led to me leaving before 6 am and arriving here at Timmy's. There are three Timmys at least in the downtown area - I think Sudbury has a thing for threes.
As a final note, it is just above freezing and a lady with way too high short shorts has just come in. There's an awkward whisper and giggles from the staff. Perhaps its the likely difference between hourly pay.
Keep up the good work Janet! Your writing is beautifully visual, and I feel like I'm riding right along with you.
ReplyDelete