Thursday, April 16, 2009






I've just driven over 600 km and have chosen to sit down again (!) to write this post. These posts are getting addictive. It's a one-sided conversation with friends. Perhaps there's a way to get reaction and response - I leave that up to you. In the meantime, here's what went on today.

This is the beautiful Cle'O Spa Motel in Edmonston, NB. (And there's my kettle, which for some reason did not work in the vehicle - I had to make a special stop at Timmys for boiling water for my tea! Times are hard.)
I know - another non-hostel accommodation. These hostels are few and far between and it is still snowy outside. Temps are due to dip to -6 tonight, so no good sleeping in the van either. So that's my story. I'm sure it will be positively balmy going across the Prairies and BC.




I started the morning in PEI, searching for scenery. This little cottage (Dayton Beach Cottage) is a walk across the road from... Dayton Beach. DB is a dune edged beach and today it must have been -20 because my face just about froze.





Here's the friendly beach access...
And, the view from behind. (This one's looking north and the other one above looking south, in case you were wondering.)
600 km is a very long drive. I finally figured out how to get off PEI after an hour or so touring the countryside. Not sure it is the province for me - no offense, but it was a little too "English" for comfort - very few trees, mostly agriculturally cultivated, big boys' toys everywhere. But, the bridge drive back over to the mainland was just as thrilling as the drive over to the island. I let out a little scream each way.
Along the route, I took the No 2 highway past Fredericton and via Woodstock to Edmonston. This photo (I call it "A hillside full of hydro") was around Woodstock area where an entire hillside profile was taken up with a wind farm. And yes, I was driving 110 km/h and juggling the camera - sorry Ted and Amy, but everything is fine!
Ok, well I think that is it for tonight. I am going to quiz the manager of the motel about downtown Quebec City, because that's where I'll be tomorrow. I have my French phrasebook ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment