I seemed to drive a long time yesterday and not get very far, but I did chase a storm right into Creston. No lightning this time, but terrific downpour and hail. I pulled off the road for a while to wait for the worst of it to subside then took these photos when in Creston (where I stayed for the night).
Creston, to any naturalist, should be mecca. For as long as I have been involved with the Malaspina Nats we have received newsletters from the Creston Valley Naturalists, so I was determined to figure out why. And I figured it out! They have something like 25,000 acres of protected wetland that holds 265 species of birds and loads of mammals and amphibians. The place is an orchestra of songs and I spent a great time there yesterday after one storm and before the next and then again this morning, which had much better weather.
Ok, so to any birdwatchers, here's what I think I saw - red necked grebes, red winged blackbirds, a snipe or shrike (I get confused between the two) that made funny coo-ing noises as it flew, tree swallows (they have countless nesting boxes for them and there must be a waiting list because it was busy!), I'm pretty sure I saw a few purple martins too, a water rat, song sparrows, a hawk of some kind, hooded mergansers, mallards, wood ducks, flicker, crows, osprey, ravens, bald eagles, etc. etc.
For anyone travelling through the south east of the province, Creston is a must see. Please go there! It was great.
As I wound my way up to Penticton I followed the winery trail and of course had to stop in at the Golden Beaver Vineyard just because of its name. After trying out 1 sip of 3 different wines I felt just a little bit tipsy leaving the shop :)
Tomorrow I'll be in the big city of Vancouver and following that I'll be home, so I guess this is probably the penultimate entry. Next and final entry will probably be on Monday when I am back at work and once again connected to the internet. Until then, have a great weekend!
... and just what are we supposed to read while sipping our morning coffee once you get back to P.R.????
ReplyDeleteWe've sure enjoyed riding along with you!
Hugs ~ Janice & Gerald